A Writer's Piece

A Writer's Piece

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Smile


I was riding in a jeepney with my partner when an old woman in tattered clothes came in.  She carried with her white envelopes which were distributed to the passengers inside.  I’ve seen this scenario for several times already.  A woman or child would get in a public vehicle asking for alms through the so-called “organizations” labeled on the envelope, most often written in crooked strokes. Some would even sing or dance in irregular rhythm.  And, more often than not, people would simply ignore them.  Rarely do I see anyone taking charity into heart.

 “Begging is their way of living.  They must have been a part of a group controlled by heartless men.”

These are the usual reactions along with snobby faces.  This one was different.  Okay, people may call me an “accomplice” in the process but it wouldn’t stop me from helping these people (although at times I don’t).  I felt an urge to put just a penny inside the envelope and offered a short prayer for the old lady.  When I gave it to her, I was mesmerized with what I saw.  In front of me was the most dazzling smile I’ve ever seen and the words she uttered were a melody to my ears.  How wonderful it was to see that genuine smile that reached her eyes, blinding my eyes from an unattended dental hygiene and grayish lips.  


“Thank you.” How charming these words are for me.  I felt a deep sense of peace when she spoke these words for I know that they came from her being.  She left me speechless, with my mind scanning memories of the last time I’ve seen that.  At that moment, it was only me and her and the message she left me.

How many times do we raise our head each day to thank God for the countless blessings we all gladly receive?  Miracles go unnoticed because our gazes are focused on things that are temporary.  We forget to smile over wishes granted thinking more perhaps, on the mountain-blocked way.  Sharing becomes an effort because we choose to listen to the ingratitude of the world.  Blindly following rules, we seldom question them and go on hurting our brethren unmindfully.  Worst, technical “zombies” are now roaming the world.

What we people lack that old lady has.  Poor and stricken, she still lives her life in the kind of simplicity that God wants us to have. 



P.S. Anyone reading this is entitled to his own reaction or judgment.  But regardless of those, I will leave you just one question.

“When was the last time you genuinely smiled and offered a simple but heartfelt “Thank you” to anybody?”

3 comments:

  1. Teacher Dolly, you're really my favorite!!! How can you construct these heart-touching stories of yours? Well, I hope someday to be a good writer like you... You taught me a lot.... Thank you FABULOUS teacher of mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear. Don't you worry. I'll coach you and we'll journey together.

      Delete